Monday, February 21, 2011

Anne Burrell's Beef Brisket

Saturday afternoon, David and I are sitting around (I was resting from the week) watching the Food Network.  I could watch this channel12 hours a day.  Anne Burrell's show came on, and we watched her make this incredible looking brisket.

Well, I didn't have to convince David to go to the store to purchase the ingredients.  He got home, and we got busy.

You can find Anne's recipe here:

Anne Burrell Braised Beef Brisket

We did our best, but substituted some of the ingredients.

David got the only brisket he could find.
We seared both sides of it.
Added the 2 onions chopped, 4 ribs of celery chopped, and 4 slices of bacon chunked.
Then added 4 cloves of garlic, minced, and the mushrooms.  
We used white button, and baby portabellas sliced.
Stir, and let cook about 5 minutes longer.
Then add the chicken stock (I used the entire box), and balsamic vinegar (1 cup).
We didn't have enough of the balsamic so I had about a cup and a half of red wine.
Placed the brisket back into the pan, in the middle of the sauce.
Added 4 bay leaves, and salt and pepper.
Then cover with foil, and cook for a hour at 375 degrees.
Turn the brisket over after 1 hour.
Cook for an additional 1 and 1/2 hours.
Once it is done, take the brisket from the pan, and let rest for 15 minutes covered.
Reduce the sauce by half (we really should have let it reduce more, but this turned out nicely).
Serve with potatoes, rice, or noodles.
We served with rice, and a nice apple salad.
It was really good (if I do say so myself ---David loved it). 

Enjoy!


1 comment:

Melanie said...

YUMMY!!!!! That looks so good ... now I'm starving! :)

So nice to "meet" you today!
Melanie :)